The second annual Healthy Schools, Healthy Minds campaign, hosted by Publix and Produce For Kids is happening now through October 24th. When you add produce to your shopping cart, participating fresh fruit and vegetable suppliers will make a donation to DonorsChoose.org, which supports local classroom projects.
Next time you go to Publix, be on the lookout for the Produce for Kids display unit in the produce section. The display features LazyTown and Noodle and Doodle characters from the popular Sprout shows.
Also, characters from the preschool channel Sprout will be appearing at two local stores.
- October 11 from 11:15 am – 1:45 pm at Publix 450 State Road 13, St. Johns, FL 32259
- October 13 from 12:15 pm – 3:45 pm at Publix 2010 Town Center Blvd, Knoxville, TN 37922
Do you need recipe ideas for all the fresh fruit and vegetables you’ll be putting in your shopping cart? Check out all the Ideal Meals on the Produce for Kids website.
There’s also a sweepstakes to enter to win prizes valued up to $250 for individuals or up to $300 for a classroom project if you’re a teacher! Go enter it here.
Here’s a breakfast recipe that sounds really good and I will have to try for myself.
Preparation Time: 35 Minutes
· 2 large eggs
· 1 tsp. vanilla extract
· ½ cup honey
· 2 Tbsp. olive oil
· ¼ cup pistachios, chopped
· ¼ cup cashews, chopped
· ½ cup banana, peeled, mashed
· 1 ½ cup apples, peeled, cored, diced
· 2 cups rolled oats
· 1 cup whole wheat flour
· 1 ¾ tsp. cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine eggs, vanilla, honey, oil, pistachios, cashews, banana and apple in large mixing bowl.
3. Combine oats, flour and cinnamon in separate mixing bowl.
4. Combine wet and dry mixtures until thoroughly mixed.
5. Separate into ⅓ cup portions. Place portions on parchment lined baking sheet about ½-inch apart.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until firm. Remove from oven and cool on cooling rack until warm.